Thursday, August 27, 2009

Up In Smoke


This project was such a pleasure to prepare, and such a disaster in the end!
My children & I peeled our crayons and divided them into aluminum trays
so that we could melt the wax and then pour the melted crayon wax into molds to
form into fresh new crayons...well....it started out with good intentions, but ended
up in flames in my oven!
A word to the wise (that learn from others mistakes)...never,
I repeat
NEVER
set your oven to the broil setting to speed up crayon melting...
it will ignite the wax and blast it all over the inside of your oven.
I had to use the fire extinguisher to put that blaze out.
Luckily it worked, because our cable phone was not working at the time.
I had to evacuate the kids to the porch until the black smoke floated out the
windows, and the fire alarms were singing while I took my waxy mess out of my
blue oven.
What a lesson in safety that was....
maybe next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment